ElementFe is my trade name for the Guemes Island blacksmith shop; designing, forging, and building handcrafted forged steel and iron furniture, gates, railings, candlesticks, spoons, kitchenware and all manner of repair and fabrication.

Saturday, March 22, 2008



I thought it would be fun to show some of the many steps to getting a lovely red chair out of a pile of steel rods and bars and stacks of steel sheet.
First, the components are cut to length: two front legs,  pieces for the back legs and backrest, pieces to be bent for the seat hoop and foot 
rail, and sheet metal marked out and cut to rough size for the seat.
Then, bending is done. Shown is the back/leg piece being bent in the vise, using a simple bending fork with an extended handle.
I only cut one tree when I built the shop, and my main vise is attached to the stump. Douglas fir stumps last pretty long- I've even seen stumps a foot across and larger completely healed over with scar tissue after being logged. Tremendous vitality.