ElementFe is my trade name for the Guemes Island blacksmith shop; designing, forging, and building handcrafted forged steel and iron furniture, gates, railings, candlesticks, spoons, kitchenware and all manner of repair and fabrication.

Friday, August 13, 2010





Two other recent knives: One a 5" utility/camper, the other a 6.5" "tough situation" knife, pattern shamelessly stolen from the incredible Jay Fisher- I hope he considers imitation to be flattery!
Both are made from a fairly small circular sawmill blade, L-6 type material.
Though it's a very serviceable knife which could easily outlast generations, I think of it as the knife where I realized that to produce hollow ground edge to my standards I DO need mechanical guides.


The blade foto of the "camper" is terrible- the texture on the blade is from heat treatment, I decided to leave it, just for fun, and have gotten universally good reviews- however, it would have been much better, had I planned it out, to clean it up much more before heat treatment.