ElementFe is my trade name for the Guemes Island blacksmith shop; designing, forging, and building handcrafted forged steel and iron furniture, gates, railings, candlesticks, spoons, kitchenware and all manner of repair and fabrication.

Saturday, September 12, 2009







This fountain developed from an idea that local glassblower Jose Hinojosa had about some of his flawed vessels. Looking at them he realized that we're ALL flawed vessels, and that we need to be constantly replenished by wonderfulness flowing in.
It took me some time to find a conceptual framework that would house this, but in this sculpture I've added that we like to have a benevolent source of inspiration, perhaps in human form, and that we lean together as a group to drink.
First, I made a basic form from cardboard, since it's difficult to visualize a 3-D form folded out to a flat surface. The 1/4" stainless steel plate was then cut and rough ground, then I modified a hydraulic press and my son and I formed it bit by bit.